Oma's Cabbage Rolls Recipe






This cabbage rolls recipe is SO German. Stuffed with meat and served with a brown gravy, this really is a family favorite ... a great German food! These Kohlrouladen are the ones I grew up with. Meat and just meat fills these. No rice. No tomato sauce to dilute the great meat/cabbage flavours! Just great cabbage taste with a wonderful gravy!


Check below the recipe for detailed help and pictures. It'll show how easy it is to make this very traditional German cabbage rolls recipe! There are several ways to separate those leaves from the cabbage. For me, I just use my big stock pot.


I have to admit that when I make soups, even following my own recipes, I usually double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe!

Why?

Because we love soups! And, because they're so wunderbar, hubby LOVES leftovers.

So, I need and use a HUGE stock pot for this. It's easily the most used pot in my kitchen.

In fact, with it's high sides, I often use it when I'm browning meat in order to minimize the splattering all over my stove. Multi-purpose. Perfect for me! Just think how many rouladen or cabbage rolls you can braise in here!




Oma's German Cabbage Rolls Recipe ❤️



Ingredients:1 medium to large head green cabbage (about 3 lb)
1 lb ground lean beef
1 lb ground pork
2 eggs
1 small onion, finely chopped
½ cup bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp Montreal steak spice (optional ... see hints below!)
½ tsp pepper
about 2 Tbsp oil and 2 Tbsp butter
about 2 cups beef broth
about 1 - 2 Tbsp corn starch


Instructions:Prepare cabbage head by removing the stalk. Cook head in a large pot of boiling, salted water for about 10 minutes until the leaves loosen. Remove leaves. (Use remainder of cabbage for another meal.)
Prepare meat mixture by mixing together the beef, pork, eggs, onion, bread crumbs, salt, steak spice and pepper.
Put about 1 heaping Tbsp meat mixture on end of cabbage leaf. Roll up tightly, tucking in sides. Fasten with a wooden toothpick.
In a large saucepan, over high heat, add oil and butter. In batches, carefully brown cabbage rolls on all sides. When all have been browned, return all cabbage rolls to pan and add beef broth so that the liquid almost covers the rolls.
Simmer gently for about 1 hour.
Carefully remove cabbage rolls unto a platter, removing the toothpicks. Keep rolls warm while you make the gravy.
Mix corn starch with a bit of cold water. Add as much as needed to the liquid in the saucepan until it is the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
Serve cabbage rolls with potatoes (boiled or mashed) and a green salad on the side.