Mushroom & Creamed Spinach Smothered Chicken

Mushroom & Creamed Spinach Smothered Chicken
So, I think this might be one of my new favorite meals. I personally needed a break from clean eating, so this was a nice treat for me.
(This recipe was adapted from Bacon, Butter, Cheese & Garlic.)
Prep: Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
I always start by chopping my veggies first and kind of setting them aside. It’s less stressful and it obviously allows me to manage my time better.
Once the prep is done, I rinsed the chicken breasts, trimmed the fat, patted them dry, and seasoned BOTH sides with my seasonings of choice (get creative!). Then, I put them in the pre-heated oven and set a timer for 25 minutes.
The creamed spinach took about 10 minutes to make: sauteed onion & spinach mixed with creamed cheese and garlic.
Don’t be afraid to experiment a little with you perfect spinach to cheese ratio (I added a TON more spinach after taking this picture!). I found that I needed a bag and a half of spinach per 4 pats of creamed cheese. That way, I could use the creamed spinach to smother the chicken and have a little leftover as a side.
I love these Alouette garlic & herb pats of creamed cheese that I snagged a CostCo a while back. They are a great full flavor alternative to regular cream cheese.
I use the exact same method to cook my mushrooms regardless of how I’m going to use them. You can saute them in oil and butter (or both) until they are browned. Deglazing is optional, but if you chose to do so you can use chicken stock or wine. It basically just depends on your preference.
But, NEVER salt mushrooms until they are done cooking. Salting mushrooms while they are cooking will result in shrunken, shriveled shrooms and nobody wants that.
Then, I layered:
I added some salt to the mushrooms here and then topped with the cheese.
I pulled it out when the meat thermometer hit 170ºF.
So friggin’ good.